milk&honey cafe

Friday, February 27, 2009

Sugar and spice, and everything nice.

spicy ginger molasses cookies

So, I've been bedridden with the bug for the past few days. Not so sugary and nice. Fever and stuffy nose and dry coughs are the least of what one wants in this dreadful weather anyway, but there certainly are things that can make the dreariest winter skies a little brighter. Let's take spicy molasses ginger cookies, for example. Chewy, soft, with a slight kick. What cold? What cloudy day?

spicy ginger molasses cookies

Okay maybe these cookies don't actually make your cold and clouds go away, but all I am saying is that we've got to enjoy the little good things in our lives. We all know what's best about being sick though. Sleeping all day, guilt-free tv, and being taken care of. :) And as I was chugging down ginger ale and ginger cookies, I thought I was feeling much better.

spicy ginger molasses cookies

I baked these cookies a few days back for my mom to take to her friends' gathering. She took quite a few but came back with nothing but a big smile. They were a big hit! Some of her friends confessed that they couldn't stop eating them. Originally, she requested a less sweet cookie, and so I thought I'd try a new recipe, instead of the chocolate and butter laden cookies (which are perfectly fine, of course). I always wanted to try ginger molasses cookies after eating the ones from starbucks. Those are DELISH! So after a long search for the right recipe, I decided to settle on the one I saw on the pioneer woman instead of using the somewhat unpredictable recipe called "starbucks" version i found on a random site. It does use shortening instead of butter, but she explains that it can't be helped. Unfortunately, I didn't have all the spices that the recipes calls for, so the spiciness might have been quite different if I followed the original recipe. I ended up just throwing in some allspice and other stuff. But it tasted just fine and dandy. :) These weren't exactly "less sweet", however. The sweetness is a bit overwhelming at times, but the texture and spice balances it out. This is truly a chewy and soft cookie that we sometimes crave ever so badly. :)

Spicy Ginger Molasses Cookies

about 2.5 dozen


ingredients

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup Crisco (vegetable shortening)
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda


directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix sugar, shortening, molasses, and egg together until well combined. Dump in dry ingredients, stirring dry ingredients together lightly. Mix together until dough is combined.
3. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls, then generously coat each ball with sugar.
Place balls on a baking sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, allowing to bake for about a minute after cookies begin to crack.
Remove cookies from baking sheet and allow to cool.




snow cake

Speaking of looking at the bright things in dreary situations.. guess what I found on my backyard deck? The FUNNIEST thing I've ever seen! There was a pile of snow on the table and recently it warmed up a bit, so the big pile slowly slipped away, but it got cold all of a sudden, so it decided to just freeze up again! And so that pile of snow has been staying like that for days and days! No joke. It's so hilarious. It sorta looks like a big fluffly marshmallow or rice cake. My grandma and I sat there laughing our bellies out in the kitchen. We couldn't help but wonder how nature could have such a sense of humour! Oh life is good! :) Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. How do you box your recipes like that, it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun; I wish I was there to eat the cookies, drink tea & laugh with you & your grandmother! Life is good! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better. Cookies and spending your afternoon watching television is the perfect remedy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're feeling better soon! Love those cookies - they sound like my kind of thing. And I WAS wondering about that last photo! :D

    ReplyDelete