milk&honey cafe

Monday, November 24, 2008

Blondies have more fun

blondies

Do blondes have more fun? It's one of those questions that people like to talk about, but I wouldn't know. Cuz I'm a very black-haired girl. And proud! Hehe. But nonetheless, "blondies" - in their buttery, chewy and delicious sense- are perfectly fun.

blondies

Last night, my lovely family of three (Jenn & Kev) were craving some sweets again after dinner so I busted out my spatula once again. I looked online for an easy breezy recipe I could just make out of the stuff I have in my pantry and found a perfect recipe on smitten kitchen. (I lovvee that blog, by the way!) And honest to goodness, it is the easiest thing I have ever baked in my life.

blondies

It took not even 15 minutes to prepare, and almost one bowl!! The result was delicious and delightful and hit the spot right away. It's chewy and soft and wonderful.

Blondies

16 medium squares
from Smitten Kitchen


ingredients

8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch salt
1 cup all-purpose flour


directions

1. Preheat oven at 350°F. Butter an 8×8 pan.
2. Mix melted butter with brown sugar - beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
3. Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in any additions (below).
4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle. It might seem a little underbaked at first, but when you leave it to cool on the rack for a while, it'll set.


Further additions, use one or a combination of:


1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, toasting them first for even better flavor
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon mint extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla
1/2 cup mashed bananas
1/4 cup bourbon, scotch or other whiskey; increase the flour by one tablespoon
2 tablespoons of espresso powder with the vanilla
Stir 1/2 cup dried fruit, especially dried cherries, into the prepared batter
Top with a vanilla butter cream or chocolate peanut butter cream frosting


0 comments:

Post a Comment