milk&honey cafe

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Less-words Tuesdays: Kimbap

i ♥ kimbap

AHa! Get it? Since I really suck at "Wordless Tuesdays", I am instead creating a "Less-Words Tuesday". Muhaahah. I can still leak a few words here and there without being a loser! ..Or did I just validate that by creating a nonsensical phrase? Oh well! You still love me, right? Anyways, here's a post on one of my favorite lunches in the whole world, the kimbap.

i ♥ kimbap
sauteed fish cakes, aka o-deng or uh-mook in Korean

i ♥ kimbap
different ingredients, or "stuffings"

i ♥ kimbap
i ♥ kimbap
i ♥ kimbap
i ♥ kimbap
my mom's beautiful kimbap rolling

Kimbap is almost like the Japanese maki, except it's Korean and you don't put raw seafood into it. Well there's slightly more to that, too. The flavor is quite different, generally uses more ingredients and the shape is often fatter and shorter than its' Japanese cousin. You can always make a fusion Kimbap or Roll too! Koreans are so creative with their ingredients and there are some really wild and non-traditional ones out there! My favorite ones are cheese, tuna salad, pork cutlets, kimchi, and corn, although never all together. :P

i ♥ kimbap
i ♥ kimbap

I love kimbap because it's tasty, bite-sized, and healthy, but mainly because it brings me good memories of childhood. In Korea, Kimbap is the staple food that kids take to school field days or trips. I remember those exciting but smoldering summer days where hundreds of kids would sit on the floor with their frozen bottled water and little plastic lunch boxes. We would all open our korean-style tupperware with our perfect rolls that our mothers have lovingly packed. I loved those days. So I eat my kimbap with much nostalgia and sentiment.

i ♥ kimbap

8 comments:

  1. Those look so deliciously fresh and made with care. :) And gorgeous to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just took me back to my own childhood. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :) Your kimbap looks so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had this but I can't resist trying something new. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh these are so tempting! I have been wary of sushi--not too comfortable with the idea of raw fish. But Kimbap looks simply delish! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look delicious!!! gosh they're making me well hungry. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Kimchi kimbap sounds soo good.

    ReplyDelete